Wednesday, May 30, 2012

bar deodorant/powder deodorant/dusting powder

Deodorant/dusting powder: Mix 1 cup corn or rice starch, 1/2 cup baking soda 10 drops antibacterial essential oil such as lavender or tea tree. if you have some add 1 tb bentonite clay for absorbing moisture. Poke holes in the top of and old baby food or other small jar.

If moisturising /stick form is desired knead in 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup shea butter to a full recipe of powder (which has antiseptic and anti bacterial qualities as well) and  form into a ball. powder outside edges in previous mixture and place in tin. Makes three soap sized bars. Store excess in fridge or freezer during warm months . apply to clean skin daily.  Note: some people rash out from baking soda...if this is you use 3 tb soda instead or skip it and just use the cornstarch and butters.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this.. I've saved some of my used-up plastic deodorant containers to see if it'd be a good applicator.
    mebbe warm it up slightly & pour/set/ reuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried it. My Deodorant containers ended up warped both times including the time I allowed it to cool to 90 degrees before insertion into the tube. The time I tried to shove it into a tube container an old glue stick just made it messier as the most effective consistency for me is slightly thicker than playdoh. I've heard adding beeswax can help if you want a bar but the old sour candy tin works better for me as I'm a little too lazy to haul out the double boiler jury rig more than 1 or 2 times a year and we have no microwave. I'm also a klutz so I try to minimise the number of times I work with flammable hot wax to candle making and if I'm feeling ambitious, lip balm. If you find a modification that works for you please post it here for those who are less klutzy.

    ReplyDelete