Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sucking Chest Wound Salad (simple and gf when made with gf stuff) 15 minutes max


10 or so years ago I thought I hated beets unless they were in borscht. Everyone else in my family loved beets including he tinny or syrupy pickled harvard beets that besmirch all beet kind. I still hate them. Then I had straight beet juice and recognised it's delicious and inherent borschty, earthy, sweet but not syrupy goodness. So I played it against sour stuff and I made borscht, and torschi and finally I discovered the best thing of all ....sliced raw beets. I couldn't be stopped. Sure it will look like a five year old used lip tint on you, but who cares...it's delicious.mmm beets.

Sucking Chest Wound Salad
----------------------------------------
(So named because of the color of goat cheese when mixed with raw beets)
1 lb greens
I use what's around but soft buttery greens and peppery ones seem to work best. Sometimes it's little beet greens, arugula, some ' spring mix' , wrinkled cress and other I grab a dozen carrot tops and some dill from the garden; go at them with scissors and call it a day. Anyway, you need 1 lb of salad greens in a big bowl.
add 1/2 oz of sunflower seeds
and 1 oz goat cheese or other sharp flavoured soft white cheese like feta or farmer cheese. now you can be all presentation-y and slice it neatly with dental floss but I usually pinch off a bunch of little  pieces  and throw them in between layers of greenery
you could leave out the 1/4 of a thin sliced red onion but wheres the fun there?
and if it's needing to be used you could add sliced cucumbers or some leftover cooked quinoa or chickpeas
(and clearly, as usual, I digress)
The important part is that you have 2  or 3 well scrubbed raw beets at hand. Speaking of hands you can use some rubber gloves if you don't want to look like Lady Macbeth. Personally I don't bother unless I have an interview or something. Also don't wear anything you might care about getting stained,and um.. if you are squeamish about pink cutting boards either scrub immediately(no guarantees) or protect your board with a layer of wax paper (still no guarantees but a greater success rate) Slice thin or julienne...just remember the smaller the piece the more blood (um I mean juice). Add the beets and juices to your salad bowl. Now for dressing. Drizzle on some lemon or balsamic vinegar (really gory looking and complements your beets sweetness) and maybe some salt and or olive oil. I like pepper but Rabbit doesn't. Toss carefully. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment